Relish in these flaky and butter Sweet Corn Empanadas filled with creamy, cheesy corn. This snack from Argentina will blow your mind away!
Cuisine : Mexican Course : Appetizer Skill Level : Novice
Prep : 50 mins Cook : 30 mins Ready in : 1 hr 20 mins Serves : 2 Servings
- 400gm All-Purpose Flour
- 175gm Unsalted Butter, chilled
- ¾ tsp Salt
- 1 no Large Egg
- ½ cup Cold Water
- Egg Wash
- 1 no Large Egg, whisked
- Sea Salt to taste (For Garnish)
- 500gm Corn Kernels
- 3 nos Green Onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Mustard Powder
- 3 tbsp Milk
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- ½ tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 80gm Mozzarella Cheese
DIRECTIONS FOR DOUGH
- In a food processor, pulses to combine the flour, butter and salt.
- Whisk together the egg and the water and add in individual tablespoons until dough forms.
- Press into two discs and cover with plastic wrap.
- Chill for about 30 minutes to an hour in the fridge.
DIRECTIONS FOR FILLING
- In a large skillet on medium heat, cook the corn and green onions in olive oil for about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, mustard, milk, lemon juice, paprika, salt and sugar, and cook for 5 minutes more until the corn is soft and spices have incorporated well.
- In a food processor, pulse about 3 or 4 times, until the mixture is homogenous but leaving a few corn kernels whole.
- Lay on a flat tray to chill before assembling.
- Remove dough from fridge, and roll out on a floured surface as thinly possible.
- Preheat oven to 190C.
- Cut round circles using the round cutter.
- Transfer rounds to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Place 1-2 tbsp of filling followed by a heap of mozzarella cheese into the centre of each round, folding in half and crimping with a fork to enclose the pastry.
- Brush the top with egg and sprinkle with a little sea salt.
Bake for about 12-15 minutes, until empanadas are golden brown.