Enjoy this rustic skillet Granny Smith Apple Pie Recipe. It is filled with sweet juicy cinnamon apples all topped of with a crunchy crumb topping.
Cuisine: Western Course: Dessert
Skill Level: Novice Yield: 10-Inch Pie
Prep: 1 Hr Cook: 1 Hr 10 mins Total: 2 Hr 10 mins
For the Crust:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 226g unsalted butter, cold and cut into about ½-inch cubes
- 4 to 8 tablespoons ice water
For the Filling:
- 6 Granny Smith Apples
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 lemon, juiced and zested
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 pinch kosher salt
For the Crumb Topping:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 85g chilled unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch cubes
Make the Crust
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt.
- Cut in butter using a fork, stir in the ice water a tablespoon or two at a time, until combined.
- Form them into disks, wrap and seal in plastic wrap; chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or up to an hour.
Making the Filling
- Peel, core and cut the apples into ¼ inch wide and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the flour, cinnamon, lemon juice and zest, brown sugar, and salt and mix to combine.
Make the Topping
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the butter and work into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse sand.
- Chill in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Bake the Pie
- Heat the oven to 205°C. On a well floured surface, roll the crust to about ⅛ inch thick.
- Roll the dough onto the rolling pin and transfer to a 10-inch cast-iron skillet. Unroll and lightly press into the edges. Trim the edges so they are flush with rim of the skillet.
- Pour the apple filling into the crust. Top with the crumb topping, mounding in the middle and lightly packing it down over the apples.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, until the top is golden brown. Reduce the oven temperature to 176°C and continue to bake for 40 to 45 minutes more, until the apples are tender when pierced with a knife. If the topping is browning too quickly, cover the pie with foil.
- Let cool until warm or room temperature.