Brighten your holiday season with this rich and moist Lemon Bundt Cake. Flavored with lemon zest and juice, and topped with vanilla butter cream, this is the ultimate dessert for lemon lovers.
Cuisine: American Course: Dessert
Skill Level: Intermediate
Prep: 25 mins Cook: 1 hr 5 mins Total: 1 hr 30 mins
Serves: 8 servings
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 sticks (0.5 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 150g soft unsalted butter
- 300g icing sugar
- A few drops of vanilla extract
- Rosemary leaves, walnuts, dried cranberries.
- Preheat the oven to 165°C and set an oven rack in the middle position.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, lemon zest and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Using a mixer, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy about 3 to 4 minutes. Beat in the eggs gently until combined.
- With the mixer on low speed, beat in one-quarter of the flour mixture, then one-third of the buttermilk mixture. Repeat until finish. Finally, beat in the remaining flour mixture. Ensure all of the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Transfer the mixture to the greased bundt pan and bake for 65-75 minutes, or until a knife/tester comes out clean.
- Leave to cool completely in the tin, then turn out onto a cake stand or serving plate.
- To make the buttercream icing, whisk the butter with the icing sugar and vanilla for 2-3 minutes until smooth and evenly incorporated. You can add a further 25-50g of icing sugar to make it firmer, if you like. Pipe or spoon the buttercream over the cooled cake, and smooth with a palette knife or spoon. Decorate with Rosemary leaves, walnuts, dried cranberries, pecans.