Show your Halloween party guests a ‘gourd’ time with this pumpkin inspired treat. These pumpkin-shaped croquettes are devilishly delicious for little and big kids.
Cuisine: Japanese Course: Appetizer / Snack
Skill Level: Novice
Prep: 45 mins Cook: 40 mins Total: 1 hr 25 mins
Serves: 20 Croquettes
- 400g pumpkin
- 5 slices bacon
- 50g diced onions
- 7g unsalted butter
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 50g all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 50g panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- Pepero sticks
- Remove seeds, pith and skin from the pumpkin and cut into big chunks
- Steam pumpkin for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Mash the pumpkin in a large bowl using a potato masher.
- Heat butter in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Sauté the diced onions and bacon for 2-3 minutes until it turns translucent and lightly browned.
- Remove from heat and pour into the bowl of mashed pumpkin. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Form into small round flat patties. Use a chopstick and spoon to shape the side into a pumpkin.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes until the patties become firmer.
- Coat the patties in the all purpose flour, dip into the beaten egg and lastly coat it with panko crumbs.
- Cover with plastic wrap and rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Heat up the oil to 340ºF (170ºC) in a pot.
- Deep fry the croquettes until golden brown and crispy.
- Break the pepero sticks and poke into the middle of the croquettes with parsley.