Buttery, melt-in-your-mouth shortbread cookies filled with pecans and rolled in powdered sugar. Serve them with coffee, tea, hot chocolate or homemade eggnog for a perfect pairing! A perfect easy dessert for the holidays!
Cuisine: Austria Course: Dessert/Snack
Skill Level: Novice
Prep: 30 mins Cook: 20mins
Ready in: 40 mins Serves: 16pcs
- 60g Unsalted Butter (Room Temperature)
- 40g Powdered Sugar
- 1 Egg Yolk
- ¼ Vanilla Extract
- 100g Cake Flour
- 20g Ground Almond
- 1g Salt
- 1g Cinnamon Powder (optional)
- Powdered Sugar for Rolling and Dusting
- Strawberry Jam
- 200g fresh or frozen strawberries
- 50g sugar
- ½ tbsp water
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- In a medium bowl combine flour with baking powder, ground almonds and salt.
- In a large bowl mix butter and sugar at medium-high speed until light and creamy. Add eggs, and beat until smooth. Beat in vanilla extract. Add flour mixture and stir to incorporate.
- Separate dough in half and pound into 6 inch disks. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a well floured surface roll the first disk 1/8 inch (3 mm) thick. Cut the dough for the bottoms with a 2 inch (5 cm) linzer cutter. Transfer the cookies to the prepared baking sheet. Re-roll scraps and repeat.
- Bake for 10 minutes until the cookies are lightly browned on the edges. Remove and let them cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes; remove from sheet and cool completely on wire rack.
- Invert the bottom cookies and add strawberry jam. Lightly dust with powdered sugar the top cookies.
- Gently sandwich cookies together and let stand for several hours before serving.For the Strawberry Jam
- Add strawberries, sugar, lemon juice and water into a small saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Simmer until the mixture is thick, for about 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool completely before using.