Light fluffy vanilla cupcake filled with berries topped with a Swiss meringue buttercream is the perfect summer cupcake!
Cuisine : Baking Course : Dessert Skill Level : Novice
Prep : 25 mins Cook : 15 mins
Ready in : 40 mins Serves : 16-20 mini cupcakes
Ingredients for the cupcakes
- 80g Butter, unsalted – softened
- 120g White Caster Sugar
- 1 Egg (65g)
- 140g Plain Full Fat Yogurt, unsweetened
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Bean Paste/ Extract (Optional)
- 150g Cake Flour
- 1/2 + 1/8 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/8 tsp Fine Sea Salt
- 60g Frozen Berries of your choice or berry jam to swirl in
*Ensure all ingredients are at room temperature
Ingredients for Vanilla Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- 3 Egg Whites (100-120g)
- 70g White Sugar
- 25g Unsalted Butter – softened
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp Vanilla Bean Paste/ Extract (Optional)
- Sea Salt to taste
- To make the cupcakes, follow steps 2 to 12. (USING ALTERNATE METHOD).
- Preheat oven to 180°C top and bottom heat.
- Combine butter and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Using the paddle attachment, cream the mixture till light and fluffy.
- Mix the yogurt and vanilla together.
- Sift all dry ingredients together.
- Once butter-sugar is well creamed, add egg and cream till fluffy.
- In alternate additions on low speed, add the half of the dry ingredients. Then half of the wet ingredients. And repeat till fully combined. Do not overmix.
- Fold in the frozen berries.
- Fill cupcake liners till close to ¾ full.
- For mini cupcakes bake for 12-14 mins. For regular cupcakes bake for 16-20 mins or until the skewer comes out clean.
- This cupcake keeps up to 3 days at room temperature.
- To make the Vanilla Swiss Meringue Buttercream, follow steps 14 to 25.
- Prepare a Bain Marie/Water Bath.
- Combine egg whites and sugar in a grease proof metal/glass bowl.
- Over a steaming Bain Marie, heat the mixture gently while stirring regularly.
- To test if the egg white mixture is ready, rub it between your fingers to feel if the sugar has dissolved.
- Once ready, remove from the heat.
- Using the whisk attachment, start at medium till a solid white meringue forms and then switch to Med High. It takes about 5 minutes.
- Once the mixing bowl feels cool to touch, switch to the Paddle attachment. You may continue using the whisk attachment if the butter cubes are soft enough.
- At low speed, add butter cubes one at a time until fully incorporated.
- Turn to medium high speed and whip for 5mins. Add Vanilla and Sea Salt to taste.
- Reduce to medium speed and whip for 2-3mins.
- Whip at low speed till well combined.
- This buttercream keeps up to 3 days chilled or frozen up to a month.