Learn to make this traditional Malaysian dessert, Pulut Inti made of steamed glutinous rice with a sweet coconut topping from Chef Julie Yee.
Cuisine : Baking Course : Dessert Skill Level : Novice
Prep : 180 mins Cook : 65 mins
Ready in : 245 mins Serves : 6
Ingredients for Glutinous Rice
- 220g Glutinous Rice
- 200g Coconut Milk
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 8 sheets Banana Leaf (7” x 6” rectangle)
Ingredients for Caramel Coconut Topping
- 150g White Grated Coconut
- 75g Gula Melaka Sugar
- 80g Water
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 2 Pandan Leaf
- 1 tsp Corn Flour + 2tbsp water
- For Glutinous rice, follow steps 2 to 5.
- Wash and soak rice for about 3hrs.
- Mix all the ingredients and steam for 25mins.
- At 20mins, use a fork to fluff up the rice and cover and steam for another 5mins.
- If using the pea flower dye, take out ¼ of the rice and mix with the blue dye.
- For the Caramel Coconut Topping, follow steps 7 to 10.
- Boil water, Gula Melaka sugar, pandan leaf till sugar has melted.
- Add in the grated coconut and butter. Cook for 5mins.
- Add in the corn flour solution and cook for 2mins. Off fire.
- Pile a scoop of rice on the banana leaf. Add a tablespoon of caramel coconut topping. Wrap up into “Nasi Lemak” way. (See demo).