Enjoy a healthy snack with Hummus and Flatbread! You can have the hummus with flatbread alone or you can throw in grilled chicken and roasted vegetables for a healthy, balanced meal!
Cuisine : Mediterranean Course : Condiment Skill Level : Novice
Prep : 90 mins Cook : 40 mins
Ready in : 130 mins Serves : 6
Ingredients for Hummus
- 140gm Hulled Sesame Seeds
- 3-4 tbsp Grape Seed Oil
- 1 can of Chickpeas
- 1 Large Lemon
- 1 Garlic Clove – minced
- Olive Oil
Ingredients for Flatbread
- 1 packet (2 1/4 tsp) Active Dry Yeast
- 2 Garlic Cloves – minced
- 1 tbsp Minced Herb (Rosemary and Thyme)
- 3/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 2 cups of Flour
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil, more for coating the bowl
- 3/4 cup of Warm Water
- To make Hummus, follow steps 2 to 6.
- Make your own Tahini: – Toast sesame seeds – Add to food processor then process until smooth.
- Combine tahini and lemon juice and process for 1 minute.
- Add the olive oil, minced garlic, cumin and the salt to the whipped tahini and lemon juice mixture. Pulse for 30 seconds.
- Add chickpeas (drain fluid from can) process until smooth.
- To serve, Pour mixture into a bowl then drizzle about 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the top and sprinkle with paprika.
- To make Flatbread, follow steps 8 to 15.
- To a large mixing bowl, add yeast, garlic, herbs, sea salt, sugar, all purpose flour, and whisk.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and add olive oil and 1/2 cup (120 ml) of warm water to start. Stir with a wooden spoon to mix. Add more water as needed until a dough forms.
- Transfer to a clean, well-floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic – about 2 minutes – adding more flour as needed to prevent sticking.
- Wipe out mixing bowl and add a bit of oil – 1 tsp. Roll dough around to coat and position seam-side down in the bowl. Cover with a damp towel or plastic wrap. Set in a warm place to rise for 1 hour.
- Once doubled in size, cut dough into 6 even pieces, arrange on a clean surface, and lay a damp towel on top. Let rest.
- In the meantime, heat a large skillet (electric or cast iron) to medium-high heat
- One at a time on a lightly floured surface, roll each piece of dough into a large circle and cook 2 1/2 minutes a side.
- Enjoy immediately or allow to cool completely and store in air tight container until smooth To serve, Pour mixture into a bowl then drizzle about 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the top and sprinkle with paprika.