Be creative this Halloween by baking this homemade chicken pot pie with flaky pie crust and creamy chicken pot pie filling. These mini chicken pot pies have strips of puff pastry on top to look like mummy wrappings and a few stuffed green olives slices make the perfect “eyes.”
Cuisine: American Course: Main
Skill Level: Novice
Prep: 20 mins Cook: 50mins
Ready in: 1 Hour Serves: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ lb boneless, skinless chicken breast(680 g), cubed
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- ½ white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup potatoes (225 g), cubed
- 2 cups frozen pea and carrot(300 g)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth(480 mL)
- 1 frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- Sliced black olives
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F (200˚C)
- Heat the oil in a cast-iron skillet or saucepan. Add the chicken, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the meat is golden brown on the outside. Remove chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Sauté the onion and garlic until translucent. Add the potato cubes and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add the peas and carrots and stir. Add the butter and allow it to melt. Sprinkle the flour on top, covering the vegetables, and quickly stir to avoid lumps.
- Pour in the chicken broth and bring to a boil to thicken the sauce. Season with salt and pepper and remove from the heat.
- Spoon the stew into ramekin.
- Uncover pastry and cut it in half, then slice the pastry into 1/2-inch strips and place them on top of the filling.
- Press the strips to the edges of the baking dish so they stick. Brush the pastry with the egg.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown. Put the olives on the pastry for the eyes and serve.