Sink your teeth into Japanese Vanilla Chiffon Sponge Cake topped with glorious Durian Cream that will leave you wanting for more!
Cuisine : Baking Course : Dessert Skill Level : Novice
Prep : 20 mins Cook : 35 mins
Ready in : 55 mins Serves : 8 inch round pan
Ingredients for Japanese Vanilla Chiffon Sponge
- 80g Yolks (Around 5 eggs)
- 15g Sugar
- 60g Sunflower Oil
- 80g Cake Flour
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 150g Egg Whites (Around 5 eggs)
Ingredients for Durian Creme
- 450g Freshly Peeled Durian Meats – Blend it slightly
- 40g Full Cream Milk
- 90g Soft Peak Whipped Dairy Cream (whip first before measuring)
Ingredients for Sugar Syrup
- 30g Fine/ Castor Sugar
- 90g Water
- To make the Japanese Vanilla Sponge Cake, follow steps 2 to 7.
- Preheat oven to 180 degree Celsius.
- Stir and mix in Group A until combine.
- Whip Group B until stiff peak forms.
- Fold and combine Group A and B.
- Bake for 25 mins at the middle rack of the oven (non-fan mode).
- NOTED: – Do not over fold the batter as the cake will taste dense due to the deflation of the batter Plain cake can be kept in the fridge for 3 days only as there are no preservatives being used.
- To make the Durian Cream, follow steps 9 to 11.
- Cook Group A over low heat until warm.
- Cool the durian mixture over a bowl of iced water.
- Whisk in the soft peak dairy cream to the mixture and chilled until for later use.
- To make the Sugar Syrup, follow steps 13 to 15.
- Mix the sugar and water and cook until sugar is melted.
- Leave cool before using.
- To assemble the cake, follow steps 16 to 24.
- Slice the sponge into 3 equal layers.
- Place the sponge (with skin face down) on the cake board.
- Tab on some sugar syrup and layer with durian crème.
- Add on the second layer of sponge and tab on some sugar syrup.
- Layer with the final coat of durian crème.
- Top with the final layer of sponge and tab on some sugar syrup.
- Coat the whole cake with whipped non-dairy cream.
- Topped with cake cubes and sprinkle with generous dose of icing sugar.
- Serve chilled.