This fluffy and moist Brown Sugar Sponge Cake by Chef Claire is to die for!
Cuisine : Baking Course : Dessert Skill Level : Novice
Prep : 20 mins Cook : 25 mins
Ready in : 45 mins Serves : 2 6″ cakes
- 150g Egg, Whole (Cold)
- 10g Glucose or Golden Syrup
- 60g White Sugar, Caster
- 60g Cake Flour or Flour < 9g protein
- 45g Vegetable Oil
- Preheat oven to 170°C Top and Bottom without fan/ 150°C with fan.
- Combine cold eggs, sugar and golden syrup/glucose in a mixing bowl.
- Using the whisk attachment, put on medium speed till combined. Ensure glucose/golden syrup is fully incorporated. Put on Kitchen aid speed 9 for 10mins, speed 7 for 3mins and then speed 5 for 2mins.
- Sift flour.
- Once the batter is thick and at ribbon stage, on the slowest speed, add the sifted flour 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Stop the mixer. Remove 3-4 spatulas of batter to the oil. Mix gently till well combined. There must not be any oil streaks.
- Add oil-batter mixture to the main batter. Mix on the slowest speed for 5-10secs.
- Fold by hand using a spatula till the batter is uniform.
- Divide into 2 equal portions into your springform pans.
- Bake till golden brown and when a cake tester comes out clean. 6” 20-25mins.
- Reduce oven temp by 10°C after 15mins if the cake is browning too quickly.
- Allow to cool for 5mins before inverting the tins to cool completely.