For this Chinese New Year, learn to make Traditional Sliced Bak Kwa from scratch for your family and friends!
Cuisine : Asian Course : Appetizer Skill Level : Novice
Prep : 150 mins Cook : 5 mins Ready in : 155 mins Serves : 400g
- 600 g Shoulder Butt / Twee Bah (deveined)
- 150 g Fine Sugar
- 2 tbsp Thai Fish Sauce
- 1/2 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp Light Soya Sauce
- A pinch of Pepper
- 1/2 tbsp Rose Wine
- 3 tbsp Margarine/ Lard
- 1/2 tsp MSG (Optional)
- 1/2 tbsp Papaya Oil (Optional)
- 284 Char Siew Red Coloring
- Use Nitrite Powder to retain the meat color.
- Keep it for less than 3 months.
- Mix all the seasonings in a big bowl.
- Place all the minced meat inside & mix well. Leave it for ½ hr.
- Press thinly on tray / bamboo sieve greased with oil.
- Place in oven at 50 C for 2hr or under the sun 1day till dry.
- Store in freezer lined with paper. Bak Kwa can be kept for 3mths.
- Grill at 250C till golden brown (5 minutes).