Superlative Chicken Consommé with Porcini Mushrooms and Dried Scallops
by Eric Low
This recipe adds a twist to the traditional clear chicken soup. Minced chicken is first added with the egg white and mixed well. Mushrooms are then added before the rest of the ingredients and left to simmer for 2 hours.
Cuisine : Fusion Course : Appetizer Skill Level : Novice
Prep : 15 mins Cook : 135 mins Ready in : 150 mins Serves : 2
- Dried Scallops
- Mince Chicken
- Egg Whites
- Porcini Mushrooms (soaked in 300ml water)
- Jinhua/Yunnan Ham
- Old Ginger
- Spring Onions
- Maggi Concentrated Chicken Stock or Chef Master Stock
- Quail Eggs (hard boiled)
- Wolf Berries (pre-soaked in Shaoxing Wine)
- Rinse dried scallops with water, pulse in blender till finely shredded.
- Combine mince chicken with egg whites and mix well. Remove porcini mushrooms from water and retain soaking liquid. Dice the mushrooms and add to the mince chicken.
- In a soup pot or deep casserole, mix dried scallop, mushroom and mince chicken together. Add ham, ginger and spring onion. Pour in the retain water from soaking of mushrooms and extra 200ml water. Add in concentrated stock to the soup base and mix well.
- Bring soup to boil, stirring gently along. When almost boiling, stop stirring and allow the chicken mix to cake up on the surface. Simmer on gentle heat for 2 hours.