The hunt for the perfect Banana Cake is over! Indulge in this moist Spiced Banana Chocolate Chip Cake with a light and divine Cookie Butter Swiss Meringue Buttercream!
Cuisine : Baking Course : Dessert Skill Level : Novice
Prep : 30 mins Cook : 50 mins Ready in : 80 mins Serves : 8-12
- 60g Unsalted Butter, Melted
- 65g Vegetable Oil
- 2 Whole Eggs (65g with shell)
- 125g Milk
- 250g Banana Puree
- 200g Light Brown Sugar
- 250g Plain Flour
- 7g Baking Soda
- 3g Baking Powder
- 2g Salt
- 1teasp Cinnamon, ground
- 75g Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 3/ About 110g Egg whites from 65g eggs
- 70g Brown Sugar
- 250g Unsalted Butter, Cubed (Softened but cold)
- 50-100g Cookie Butter, Smooth or Crunchy
- 1/2 teasp Cinnamon, Ground to taste
- Salt to taste
- * Preheat oven to 170-180°C. (One Bowl Method)
- Melt Butter and set aside to cool.
- Mix eggs, milk and banana puree till well combined.
- Sift all dry ingredients into bowl. Mix on low speed to combine.
- Slowly add wet mixture into dry ingredients.
- Slowly add melted butter/oil into mixture and mix till well combined.
- Once fully incorporated, divide into 2 equal portions using a weighing scale into greased and lined 6” tins. About 500g each.
- Bake for 40-50 mins till a cake tester comes out clean.
- Unmould and cool the cake onto a rack.
- *Keep at room temperature for up to 3 days or keep chilled for up to 7 days.
- Prepare a Bain Marie/Water Bath.
- Combine egg whites and sugar in a grease proof metal/glass bowl.
- Over a steaming Bain Marie, heat the mixture gently while stirring regularly.
- To test if the egg white mixture is ready, rub it between your fingers to feel if the sugar has dissolved.
- Once ready, remove from the heat.
- Using the whisk attachment, start at med till a solid white meringue forms and then switch to Med High. It takes about 5 minutes.
- Once the mixing bowl feels cool to touch, switch to the Paddle attachment.
- At low speed, add butter cubes one at a time until fully incorporated.
- Turn to med high speed and whip for 2-5mins.
- Add cookie butter and cinnamon to taste. Whip till incorporated.
- This buttercream keeps up to 7 days.