Try Chef Susanne Despature’s version of a classic French Onion Soup with croutons – the sweet caramelised onions go perfectly with the melted Gruyère & Mozzarella cheese! This is bound to be a hit among children and adults alike!
Cuisine : European Course : Appetizer Skill Level : Novice
Prep : 10 mins Cook : 60 mins Ready in : 70 mins Serves : 4
- 4 Large yellow onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 80g Butter
- 20g Brown sugar
- 1L Chicken stock (fresh or cubes)
- 5 c White wine (optional)
- Sherry or balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper
- 200g French baguette or ciabatta in slices
- 2 tsp Virgin olive oil
- 150g Grated cheese (mix of Gruyère & Mozzarella)
- Melt butter in a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Stir onion slices, add brown sugar and cook 35 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are caramelized and almost syrupy.
- Add chicken broth and wine into pot. Simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to low, mix in some drops of vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Cover and keep over low heat to stay hot while you prepare the bread.
- Preheat oven broiler. Arrange bread slices on a baking sheet and brush with olive oil on both sides. Broil 3 minutes, turning once, until well toasted on both sides. Remove from heat; do not turn off broiler.
- Arrange 4 large oven safe bowls or crocks on a rimmed baking sheet. Fill each bowl 2/3 full with hot soup. Top each bowl with grated cheese (roughly 40 g/ bowl). Sprinkle a little bit of paprika over the top of each one.
- Broil 5 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown. As it softens, the cheese will cascade over the sides of the crock and form a beautifully melted crusty seal. Serve immediately.