This Malaysian favourite is simple to put together and is perfect as a main dish or finger food!
Cuisine : Asian Course : Main Skill Level : Novice
Prep : 20 mins Cook : 40 mins Ready in : 1 hour Serves : 4 servings
- 1 Large Chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 2 tbsp Taucheo
- 1 tbsp McCormick Montreal Steak Seasonings
- 1 inch McCormick Stick Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 2 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 cup Thick Chicken Broth
- 1 1/4 cup Hot Water
- 1 Star Anise
- 2 McCormick Bay Leaves
- 2 tbsp Rock Sugar Granules
- 8 Dried Shitake Mushrooms
- 200g Bamboo Shoot, cut into wedges
- 18 Shallots, peeled and minced
- 10 pips Garlic, peeled and finely minced
- 1 stalk Coriander Roots
- Soak dried shitake mushrooms in a cup of boiling hot water to reconstitute, slice into thick strips; reserve liquid for cooking. Season chicken pieces with a tablespoon of Montreal steak seasonings and a tablespoon each of grated garlic and shallot.
- Blanch bamboo shoot wedges briefly in hot water drain.
- Heat oil in a wok over medium heat, and fry shallots for 3 minutes, stirring constantly, then adds finely minced garlic and shallot, stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add mashed taucheo and coriander powder, stir-fry for another minute over medium low heat until aromatic.
- Add seasoned chicken pieces, mushrooms, bamboo shoot and dark soy sauce stir-fry on high for about 5 minutes. Add a star anise, cinnamon stick, hot water and chicken broth. Stir mix well to incorporate and season to taste with rock sugar and bring to a boil add in the coriander roots and the bamboo shoot wedges, lower heat simmer for 30 minutes or until gravy is thicken.
- Serve with hot turmeric basmati chicken rice.