Fresh, juicy prawns deep fried with a delicious coating of eggs, mixed with curry leaves and a touch of chili padi before tossing with delicious cereal! This hawker favourite is a must-have when ordering Zi Char dishes in Singapore. It’s easier to prepare than you think! #QuickBites
Cuisine : Asian Course : Appetizer Skill Level : Novice
Prep : 30 mins Cook : 5 mins Ready in : 35 mins Serves : 4 servings
- 12-15 medium-sized Prawns
- Cooking Oil for deep frying
- 3 small Chili Padis
- 4 sprigs of Curry Leaves
- 1 Egg
- 1 tbsp Self-raising Flour
- 1 tbsp Corn Flour
- 70g Nestum Cereal
- 1 tbsp Milk Powder
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Chicken Stock Powder
For Prawn Batter:
- Combine egg, self-raising flour, corn flour and whisk till combined evenly.
For Cereal Mixture:
- Combine Nestum cereal, milk powder, sugar, chicken stock powder and whisk till combined evenly.
How to cook:
- Heat up cooking oil in a saucepot. Coat the prawns in prawn batter and deep fry till slightly golden brown. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Melt butter in a wok or frying pan. Add sliced chili padis and curry leaves, stir fry till fragrant.
- Add in cooked prawns and stir evenly till well coated.
- Add cereal mixture and stir evenly for 3 minutes, till cereal is golden brown.
- Serve hot!