Also known as anchovies in chili paste, this paste is crucial for a good nasi lemak. The ikan bilis is mixed with a sautéed shallots, garlic and lemon grass fusion then doused with ample chili paste and spoonfuls of belachan.
Cuisine : Asian Course : Condiment Skill Level : Novice
Prep : 15 mins Cook : 25 mins Ready in : 40 mins Serves : 10
- 200ml Oil (plus extra if needed)
- 200g Shallots (finely minced)
- 4 cloves of Garlic
- 2 stalks of Lemon Grass (trimmed, use only bottom half)
- 50g Dried Anchovies or Ikan Bilis (rinsed)
- 500ml Wet Chilli Paste
- 2 tbsp Belachan Powder
- 100g Sugar or Gula Melaka
- 1 tsp Salt
- Finely ground shallots, garlic and lemon grass together into a paste.
- Heat oil and sauté the paste till fragrant, add dried anchovies and cook for another minute.
- Pour in wet chili paste and cook slowly over low heat for 20 minutes until sauce becomes a rich red. Add extra oil if necessary.
- Add belachan powder, sugar and salt to the chilli paste, cook for another 2 minutes and allow cooling before keeping the fridge or freezer.