Enjoy the sweet and savoury Salted Egg Custard Pau with salted egg custard oozing out that looks seemingly simple.
Cuisine : Asian Course : Appetizer Skill Level : Novice
Prep : 2 hrs Cook : 20 mins Ready in : 2 hrs 20 mins Serves : 6-8 Servings
- Pau Dough
- Sponge Dough
- 1pkt Instant Yeast
- 150ml Water
- ¾ tsp Condensed Milk
- 300gm HK Flour
- 200gm HK Flour
- ¾ tbsp. D. Baking Flour
- 120gm Sugar
- 1/3 tsp Ammonia Powder
- 70gm Water
- 30gm Crisco Shortening
- Sponge Dough
- Salted Egg Custard Filling
- 80gm Egg Yolks (Steam 8 mins & mash)
- 80gm Fine Sugar
- 60gm Custard Powder
- 40gm Milk Powder
- 60gm Coconut Milk
- 20gm Corn Starch
- 80gm Butter
DIRECTIONS FOR PAU DOUGH
- To make the sponge dough knead all ingredients into a dough and allow it to rest for 30 minutes.
- Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl and add in the sponge dough. Knead till shiny and smooth about 30 minutes.
- Roll into a ball & proof for another 30 minutes. Portion into 25gm.
- Wrap Char Siew fillings and fold into a circular motion to form a pau shape.
- Put on a piece of white paper and rest for 15 minutes.
- Steam at highest heat for 8 minutes.
DIRECTIONS FOR SALTED EGG CUSTARD FILLING
- Cream the butter for 3 minutes and add in all the ingredients.
- Chill until it becomes firm and portions into balls. Freeze until solid hard.
- Place in oiled paper cups & rest for 10 minutes before steaming.
- Steam in high fire for 8-10 minutes. (Don’t over steam or it will burst!)