Enjoy a luscious Salted Caramel Mousse that is creamy, fluffy, salty and sweet; simply perfect for any occasion!
Cuisine : European Course : Dessert Skill Level : Novice
Prep : 10 mins Cook : 140 mins Ready in : 150 mins Serves : 6-8 Servings
- 100g Cream 35% fat
- 200g Whole Milk
- 5g Salt
- 4 Egg Yolk
- 20g Sugar
- 10g Cornstarch (2 ½ tsp)
- 2g Gelatine (1 leave)
- 250g Whipped Cream
- Crunchy Almonds
- 100g Almond Flakes
- 2 tbsp Icing Sugar
- 2 tbsp Egg White
DIRECTIONS FOR MOUSSE
- Rehydrate gelatine in cold water.
- In a large pan, melt sugar on medium heat until caramelized. Don’t use a spatula or spoon; just move the pan from time to time in order to melt it.
- Heat cream in a small jug in microwave or in a small pan.
- Out of Heat! Add in hot cream to the caramel and wait until the temperature choc passes, then add milk (room temperature) – put back on fire and using a wooden spoon, bring to a boil until all the caramel has dissolved – add an extra pinch of salt if you wish.
- In a separate bowl whisk egg yolk and sugar until white and foamy, using a whisk. Add corn-starch and mix again. Pour hot caramel milk on the egg mixture and whisk well.
- Out of the fire pour everything back into the pan, then put back on the fire and never stop stirring with the whisk until the cream-egg mixture comes to a boil. It will thicken and all the foam will disappear. Pout into a bowl, add soft gelatine, mix and place bowl on ice water, in order to cool the cream down – stir from time to time.
- Add half of the whipped cream and fold into the caramel cream, using a whisk.
- Divide into 6-8 small bowls (100ml), cover and refrigerate.
- When the mousse has set (about 2 hours later), garnish with whipped cream and crunchy almonds.
DIRECTIONS FOR CRUNCHY ALMONDS
- In a bowl, combine egg white and sugar, add almond flakes and milk until almonds are coated with sugar-egg white mixture.
- Spread on a baking tray covered with a baking paper.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 180C in preheated oven until golden.