Roasted Quail with Parma Ham and Mushroom Stuffing with Celriac Mash
by Francois Mermilliod
Learn how to cook with the delicate quail with Chef Francois Mermilliod’s recipe! It is a juicy and hearty game dish that is stuffed with savoury mushrooms and wrapped in Parma ham!
Cuisine : European Course : Main Skill Level : Novice
Prep : 30 mins Cook : 30 mins Ready in : 60 mins Serves : 4
- 4 Completely deboned quails
- 4 Large slices of Parma ham
- 300 g Mushroom (Portobello or button)
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp White wine
- 2 tbsp Veal stock
- 1 tbsp Cream
- Few Drops of Truffle oil
- 1/2 pc Celeriac
- 2 pcs Potatoes
- 2 tbsp Butter
- Cut the mushrooms into small pieces.
- In a frying pan, sautéed the mushroom for 2 mins with some olive oil, add the chopped garlic.
- Season with salt and pepper (add to taste).
- Add chopped parsley and butter, and let it cool down.
- Put some mushroom stuffing in the quail and roll it together with the Parma ham.
- Roll into cling wrap like a sausage and simmer in water for 8 mins.
- Remove the cling wrap.
- Pan-fry the quail all around for a few minutes.
- Allow the quail to rest.
- Deglaze the frying pan with the white wine.
- Add the veal stock and cream and reduce, add the truffle oil when it is ready.
- Slice the quail and serve with the celeriac mash and the sauce.
- For the Celeriac Mash, follow Steps 14 to 16.
- Peel and cut the potatoes and celeriac into small pieces.
- Cook in salted boiling water till soft (15 minutes).
- Pass through a sieve, add some butter and season with salt and white pepper (add to taste).