Panfry food lovers must try Okonomiyaki. This special Japanese savoury pancake is a popular pan fried food that consists of batter and cabbage. Selected toppings and ingredients can be added which can vary greatly.
Cuisine : Asian Course : Appetizer Skill Level : Novice
Prep : 15 mins Cook : 10 mins Ready in : 25 mins Serves : 2
- 80g Wild Chinese Yam (huai shan) or Nagaimo
- 50ml Dashi Stock
- 30g All-Purpose Flour (sifted)
- 2 Eggs
- 10g Pickled Ginger (finely sliced)
- 100g Beijing Cabbage (finely sliced)
- 70g Peeled Prawns (diced)
- 50g Clam Meat
- 2 stalks of Spring Onions (diced)
- Oil (for cooking)
- Bonito Flakes (katsuobushi)
- Tonkatsu Sauce
- Mayonnaise (optional)
The shop in Shiojiri is by far the best okonomiyaki I had throughout the year. They would bring the batter and cook it in front of you, and put on a show if you wanted mayo or hot sauce
- Grate the Chinese yam into pulp. Mix the pulp with dashi stock. Whisk flour, eggs and yam pulp together.
- Add the rest of ingredients for pancake mix. Toss all ingredients thoroughly.
- On a non-stick pan, add some oil and heat it up. Place a ladle full of the pancake mixture and fry on low to medium heat on both sides till nicely browned.
- Transfer pancake to serving plate, drizzle over the tonkatsu sauce and mayonnaise.
- Sprinkle on bonito flakes and extra spring onions before serving.