Learn to bake this show-stopping Normandy Pear Tart from scratch with Chef Weixian for the perfect finish to your meal!
Cuisine : Baking Course : Dessert Skill Level : Novice
Prep : 40 mins Cook : 45 mins
Ready in : 85 mins Serves : 6-8
Ingredients for Mealy Dough
- 200g Plain Flour / Cake Flour
- 4g Salt
- 20g Sugar
- 100g Cold Butter
- 50g Egg
- 5g Water
Ingredients for Almond Cream
- 60g Butter
- 60g Sugar
- 60g Almond Flour
- 10g Plain Flour
- 50g Egg
Topping for Pear Tart
- 350g Pear in syrup
- 20g Almond Flakes
- As Needed Apricot Glaze
- To make the Mealy Dough, follow steps 2 to 6.
- Mix flour with salt and sugar together.
- Cut the cold butter into the flour mixture.
- Work the mixture between the palms to achieve a mealy texture.
- Add the egg and water, mix until the mixture becomes a ball.
- Place the dough on the table and crush with your palm, bit by bit, cover with clingfilm and keep in the chiller for minimum 20mins.
- To prepare the Almond Cream, follow steps 8 to 17
- Cream the butter and sugar until pale.
- Add the almond flour and plain flour. Mix well.
- Add the egg and mix well.
- Roll out the dough to desired thickness (2mm).
- Mould into tart ring.
- Spread the almond cream into the tart shell.
- Place the slices of pear and almond flakes on top of the almond cream OR line the entire tart with thin slices of green apples.
- Bake in the oven at 180ºC for 45mins.
- Transfer to grill and cool completely.
- Melt the apricot glaze and glaze the top of the tart.