This soup is a healthy one pot meal with beef, tomatoes, lentil and chickpeas. Use whole spices that are dry-roasted and freshly ground for robust flavours.
Cuisine : Mediterranean Course : Appetizer Skill Level : Novice
Prep : 10 mins Cook : 35 mins Ready in : 45 mins Serves : 3
- 150g Beef (cut into small cubes)
- ½ cup of Chickpeas
- 3 Large Tomatoes (chopped)
- 4 Whole Almonds
- ¾ cup of Red Split Lentil
- 1 Red Onion (chopped finely)
- 2 cloves of Garlic (minced)
- 3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 cups of Water
- Salt (to season)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- A small bunch of Coriander Leaves
- 3 Red Chillies
- 2 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- In a wok, dry roast the coriander seeds, cumin, red chillies and black pepper until fragrant, and grind into fine powder.
- In a casserole, heat the olive oil and sauté the chopped onions, garlic and ground spices.
- Add the beef, tomatoes, almonds, bay leaf, chickpeas and lentil. Stir until well combined.
- Pour in the water and simmer on low heat until beef is tender.
- Pour the soup into the blender and whizz until smooth.
- Return the soup into the casserole, and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve warm with bread