The Cooking Doctor shares her childhood favourite with us – make these for a perfect afternoon snack along with a cup of tea!
Cuisine : Baking Course : Dessert Skill Level : Novice
Prep : 30 mins Cook : 15 mins Ready in : 45 mins Serves : 4-6
- 5 Large eggs, separated
- 90g Sugar
- 100g Cake flour
- 20g Cocoa flour
- 1 tsp Instant coffee granules
- ¼ tsp Cream of tartar
- 50ml Melted butter (or vegetable oil)
- 50ml Hot milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla paste
- ½ tsp Salt
- Whisk the egg whites with cream of tartar and half of the sugar until pale and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks with remaining sugar and vanilla until homogenised.
- Mix the coffee granules with hot milk and melted butter.
- Sift in the cake flour along with salt and cocoa powder to the batter.
- Finally fold in the stiff egg whites.
- Pour the batter onto a greased and lined swiss roll pan and bake for 15 mins at 200°C.
- Once the cake is cooled, spread some whipping cream and melted chocolate on top.
- Roll tightly into a roulade.