Celebrate Christmas this year by baking a delicious Mini Log Cake for your family and friends!
Cuisine: Baking Course : Dessert Skill Level : Novice
Prep : 40 mins Cook : 9 mins Ready in : 49 mins Serves : 1-2 Servings
- 3 Eggs
- 85g Caster sugar
- 85g Plain flour
- 2 tbspCocoa powder
- ½ tsp Baking powder
- Filling & Icing
- 50g Butter
- 120g Dark chocolate, broken into squares
- 1 tbsp Golden Syrup
- 200ml Cream
- 150g Icing sugar, sifted
- Snow powder and holly sprigs to decorate
- Heat oven to 180C. Grease and line a Swiss roll tin with baking parchment. Bear the eggs and sugar together with an electric whisk for about 5 minutes until thick and creamy.
- Mix the flour, cocoa and baking powder together, then sift onto the egg mixture. Fold in very carefully, then pour into the tin. Now tip the tin from side to side to spread the mixture into the corners. Bake for 9 minutes.
- Lay a sheet of baking parchment on the work surface. When the cake is ready, tip it onto the parchment; allow cooling then cutting into half.
- To make the icing, melt the butter and chocolate together in a bowl over a pan of hot water. Take from the heat and cool 5 minutes before stirring tin the syrup and 5 tbsp cream. Bear in the icing sugar until smooth. Whisk the reaming cream until it holds its shape. Unravel the cake, spread the cream over the top, and then carefully roll up again into a log.
- Spread the icing over the log and branch and then use a fork to mark the icing to give the effect of tree bark. Sift snow powder over to resemble snow, and decorate with holly.