Enjoy a delicious Japanese twist with Matcha Choc Chip Cream Scones for your next tea-time party! The chocolate chip cream will help to balance the bitterness of Matcha.
Cuisine : Baking Course : Dessert Skill Level : Novice
Prep : 30 mins Cook : 12-14 mins Ready in : 42-44 mins Serves : 12 round scones
- 510g Self-rising Flour
- 50g Caster Sugar
- 1 tbsp Matcha Powder
- 115g Milk Chocolate Chips
- 160ml (2/3 cup) Milk
- 150ml Cream
- 1 Egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp Milk (Extra)
- 1 tbsp Sugar (Extra)
- To serve: Whipping Cream
Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
- Combine the flour, sugar, matcha powder and chocolate chips in a large bowl.
- Whisk the milk; cream and egg together until mixture is combined then add the cream mixture to the flour mixture. Stir gently with a wooden spatula until everything comes together.
- Knead the dough gently on a lightly floured surface until a soft dough forms. Do not overwork the dough, or you will end up with though and dry scones.
- Press the dough out to 2cm-thick. Use a scone cutter or a glass (5cm diameter) to cut 12 evenly sized scones and place them onto the lined baking tray. Brush the top of the scone with milk and sprinkle some sugar.
- Bake the scones in the oven for 12-14 minutes or until they have risen. The cooked scones will look golden. Serve warm with whipped cream.