Crème Brulee means “burned cream” in French. To replicate this classic, the batter mixture and timing control is important to achieve successful ramekins of heavenly crème brulee – a must try dessert!
Cuisine : Baking Course : Dessert Skill Level : Novice
Prep : 70 mins Cook : 30 mins Ready in : 100 mins Serves : 4
- 225g Whipping Cream
- 50g Mascarpone
- 1½ tsp Vanilla Bean Paste
- 3 Eggs
- 60g Caster Sugar
- 4 tbsp Caster Sugar (optional: for topping)
- Preheat the oven to 150°C.
- Put the cream, mascarpone and vanilla in a pan. Heat mixture until almost boiling.
- In the meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks with sugar till creamy and pale. Slowly whisk into the hot cream mixture, whisking all the time.
- Strain the mixture and pour into ramekins.
- Place the ramekins in a roasting tin, along with hot water coming half way up the ramekins.
- Bake for about 20-30 minutes, depending on the size of your ramekins. The custards should be just set around the side and have a slight wobble in the centre.
- Refrigerate the ramekins for at least an hour.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle the tops with caster sugar and caramelize it with a blowtorch. A very hot grill works well too.