Begedil is a savoury potato patty dish that is commonly found in Malay Nasi Padang stores or restaurants! Well-loved by locals, this dish can be eaten either on its own or with a delicious bowl of Lontong or Mee Soto.
While making traditional Begedil may be quite laborious and time-consuming, this quick and modernized recipe simplifies the process while retaining the robust flavours and textures!
Cuisine: Asian Course: Appetiser Skill Level: Novice
Prep: 15 mins Cook: 15 mins
Ready in: 30 mins Serves: 4 serving
- 500g Potatoes
- 50g Chopped Chinese Celery
- 50g fried shallots
- ¼ tsp white pepper powder
- ¼ tsp Coriander powder
- ¼ tsp Cumin powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- Cut Potatoes into Slices
- Deep fry potatoes till soften then take out into a pot
- Add Chopped Celery, fried shallots, white pepper powder
- Mash the potato mixture, then divide and mould into 6 patties
- Crack an egg into a small mixing bowl and beat thoroughly
- Coat potato patties with egg wash and deep fry.
- Remove once golden brown and serve with Samba Chilli.