Learn to make a traditional and mouth-watering Nonya Kueh Salat which layers of flavourful rice topped with sweet kaya custard.
Cuisine : Baking Course : Dessert Skill Level : Novice
Prep : 220 mins Cook : 75 mins Ready in : 295 mins Serves : 6-8
- 300 gm Glutinous Rice (Pulot Layer)
- 150 gm Thick Coconut Milk (Pulot Layer)
- 60 gm Water (Pulot Layer)
- 1/4 teasp Salt (Pulot Layer)
- Pandan Leaf (Pulot Layer)
- 3 no Eggs (Pandan Layer)
- 100 gm Sugar (Pandan Layer)
- 1 tbsp Custard Powder (Pandan Layer)
- 40 gm Rice Flour (Pandan Layer)
- 50 gm Fresh Pandan Juice (Pandan Layer)
- 1/4 teasp Salt (Pandan Layer)
- 280 gm Thick Coconut Milk (Pandan Layer)
- To make the rice layer, start by soaking the rice for at least 3hrs.
- Pour coconut milk. Water & salt into it.
- Put the pandan leaf and steam for 30mins.
- Drizzle with the bunga telang flower juice if using.
- ** Check rice is cooked or not, if not drizzle with 1 tbsp. of water.
- Use a fork to slight mix the blue rice.
- Press rice with wet a presser or spatula till slightly compact.
- Keep rice in steamer while preparing the kaya.
- To make the kaya layer, start by mixing sugar, custard powder, rice flour, fresh pandan juice, salt and thick coconut milk except the eggs till smooth.
- Add in the eggs last.
- Cook over the medium heat till slightly thickened.
- Pour over the hot rice & steam at medium low fire for another 25mins till kaya has soft set.
- Tips: Do not soak glutinuous rice overnight as all the fragrant will be dissolved. |Pro-long or high heat steaming of the kaya will dehydrate and “aged” the kaya. | Cover a dry towel over the kaya to prevent steam water from staining the kaya.