A classic dish of Stewed Pork with Beanskin Knots, this will instantly stir up heart-warming childhood memories. Turn ordinary ingredients into a richly flavoured dish that will please everyone in your family!
Cuisine : Asian Course : Main Skill Level : Novice
Prep : 15 mins Cook : 100 mins Ready in : 115 mins Serves : 4
- 500g Streaky Pork Belly (cut into cubes)
- 2 tbsp Oil (for cooking)
- 30g Old Ginger (sliced)
- 6-8 cloves of Whole Unpeeled Garlic
- 1 piece of Cinnamon Stick
- 2 pieces of Star Anise
- 100g Japanese Scallions (sliced)
- 40g Rock Sugar
- 150ml Light Soya Sauce
- 2 tbsp Dark Soya Sauce
- 150ml Shaoxing Huatiao Rice Wine
- 100g Dried Beancurd Skin Knots (soaked)
- 700ml Water
- Salt (to taste)
- In a larger pot of boiling water, blanch streaky pork and refresh with cold water. Drain and set aside.
- In a braising pot, heat oil and sauté ginger and garlic till fragrant. Add Japanese scallions and return pork to braising pot.
- Add rock sugar, two soya sauces and pour in Foochow Rice Wine. Stir in soaked beancurd knots.
- Pour in water, bring to boil, simmer for 60-90minutes till pork is tender. Drain and discard away spices.
- Recombine pork with bean curd skin knots and sauce. Bring to boil, season with salt to taste and serve.