These elegant cakes shaped like scallop shells are the perfect snack with a cup of tea – try your hand at Dr Jehanne Ali’s fool-proof version!
Cuisine : Baking Course : Dessert Skill Level : Novice
Prep : 130 mins Cook : 40 mins Ready in : 170 mins Serves : 2-4
- 2 Large eggs
- 80g Sugar
- 130g Plain flour
- ¾ tsp Baking powder
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 135g Unsalted butter
- A pinch of salt
- Beat the eggs and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Fold in the melted butter and lemon zest.
- Combine the plain flour, baking powder and salt.
- Fold into the batter.
- Refrigerate batter covered with cling film for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
- Spoon into greased (and sprinkled with sugar) mould.
- Bake for 6 mins then reduce heat to 160ºC and bake for another 6-8 mins.
- Tip: when using silicone mould, sprinkle some coarse sugar onto the mould before spooning the batter. This will help caramelize the madeleines.