Enjoy eggplant with a twist by rolling ricotta inside eggplant slice before topping it with more cheese!
Cuisine : European Course : Appetizer Skill Level : Novice
Prep : 10 mins Cook : 65 mins Ready in : 75 mins Serves : 2
- 1 Large eggplant
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive Oil
- 1 cup Diced tomato
- 1 cup Ricotta
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Large egg, beaten
- ½ cup Shredded mozzarella
- ¼ cup Grated parmesan
- ½ cup Diced tomato sauce
- Slice ends off eggplants. Cut eggplants lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices, discarding peel-covered ends. Lay slices on a rimmed baking sheet and sprinkle both sides liberally with salt. Let stand for 15 minutes, then rinse salt off under cold running water and pat slices dry.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Brush both sides of eggplant slices with olive oil and put on grill pan Roast for 10 minutes a side tender. Let cool on sheets on wire racks until cool enough to handle.
- In a large bowl, combine ricotta, garlic, eggs, 1/2 the mozzarella and 1/2 the Parmesan. Season with 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. In a baking tray, spread 1/2 cup of diced tomato over bottom of dish. Divide ricotta mixture among eggplant slices, spreading it down the center. Roll up slices and place seam-side down in baking dish. Top with remaining tomato and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and grill at 250C until browned and bubbling, about 10 minutes longer.