Easy Seafood Bouillabaisse with Mediterranean Vegetables
by Susanne Despature
Bouillabaisse is a Provençal seafood soup that comprises of various seafoods and delicious broth. The versatile recipe of Bouillabaisse makes it an excellent course especially when you need to serve a large group of guests.
Cuisine : Mediterranean Course : Main Skill Level : Novice
Prep : 15 mins Cook : 20 mins Ready in : 35 mins Serves : 4
- 8 Prawns (peeled, intestine removed)
- 4 Scallops
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 stalk of Celery (diced 5x5mm)
- 1 Small Fennel Bulb (diced 5x5mm)
- ½ Red Bell Pepper (diced 5x5mm)
- ½ Yellow Bell Pepper (diced 5x5mm)
- 1 Small Onion (diced 5x5mm)
- 2 cloves of Garlic (chopped)
- 1 Ripe Tomato (peeled and diced)
- 500ml Fish Stock
- 3-4 pinches of Saffron
- 2-3 sprigs of Spring Onion (chopped)
- Salt, Pepper, Dill
- In a medium size pan, heat olive oil, then add all the vegetables except tomato. Sweat for 2-3 minutes on medium heat, add saffron threads and fish stock and bring to a boil. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Poach prawns and scallops carefully for 2-3 minutes, don’t overcook the seafood! Season to taste with salt, pepper and some drops of Pernod (Anis liquor from Southern France).
- Divide tomato cubes in 4 soup bowls, then top with prawns and scallop and ladle soup into bowl, dividing vegetables equally.
- Garnish with dill and serve with croutons and Rouille (southern mayonnaise, made with olive oil, garlic and saffron)