Creamy and luscious, this Crème Caramel is the perfect dessert to end a meal!
Cuisine : Baking Course : Dessert Skill Level : Novice
Prep : 25 mins Cook : 35 mins Ready in : 60 mins Serves : 4
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- 4 Egg yolks
- A dash of Vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Caramelize sugar. Remove from the heat promptly and carefully divide the hot caramel among the 4 ramekins. Sprinkle sea salt. Let cool.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the cream and vanilla to just below a boil over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, mix together the egg yolks and caster sugar in a large mixing bowl. Place the mixing bowl on top of a towel to keep it from wobbling while whisking in the hot liquid. Slowly whisk in the remaining hot cream mixture trying to prevent excess bubbles.
- Place 4 ramekins evenly spaced in a paper towel-lined baking dish to prevent the ramekins from sliding. Divide between 4 ramekins. Place on the extended middle rack of the oven. Carefully pour boiling water into the baking dish until 2/3 of the way up the sides of the ramekins.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and very gently slide it towards the center of the rack. Bake for about 35 minutes, or until the custards are almost fully set. Remove from the oven. Use tongs to remove the ramekins from the hot water bath. Let stand at room temperature until cool, then refrigerate until well chilled.
- To serve, dip the ramekin in very hot water for 15 to 20 seconds. Run a sharp knife around the sides of the ramekin. Invert the custards onto serving plates. The caramel will pool around the inverted custards. Serve immediately.