Stay healthy with this dreamy and creamy Coconut Barley with Strawberry Chia Jam which is perfect for breakfast!
Cuisine : European Course : Dessert Skill Level : Novice
Prep : 540 mins Cook : 30 mins Ready in : 570 mins Serves : 1
- 70g Uncooked pearl barley
- 125g Full-fat coconut milk, add extra if needed
- 25g Honey
- For the Strawberry Chia Jam
- 100g Fresh strawberries, stalks removed
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 15g Chia seeds
- Place the pearl barley in a bowl, cover with water, and leaves to soak overnight or up to 8 hours.
- Drain, rinse under running water, and drain well again.
- For the jam, place the strawberries in a large bowl and roughly mash with the back of a fork so that juices will be released yet retaining the texture of the fruit.
- Add 10 gm honey and chia seeds and mix well to combine. Chill it in the fridge until thickened.
- Place the barley, coconut, and honey in a large saucepan and bring it to boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20-30 minutes or until the barley is tender, but still chewy, and until the mixture has reached a thick porridge-like consistency.
- Check frequently and add more milk if they mixture seems too dry or if the liquid is absorbed too quickly.
- Remove from heat.
- Pace the barley in a small soup bowl; top with one tablespoon of the jam and serve warm or at room temperature.