Switch up your chocolate cupcake recipe to this moist and rich zucchini chocolate cupcake with Orange Scented Chocolate Swiss Meringue for the perfect summer dessert!
Cuisine : Baking Course : Dessert Skill Level : Novice
Prep : 20 mins Cook : 13 mins Ready in : 38 mins Serves : 12
- 70g Unsalted Butter, Melted or Vegetable Oil (A)
- 1 Whole Eggs (65g with shell)
- 70g Zucchini, Coarsely Grated
- 95g White Caster Sugar (A)
- 20g Cocoa Powder (A)
- 75g Cake Flour
- 1g or 1/8 teasp Baking Soda
- 4g or 1teasp Baking Powder
- 2g Salt
- 2 Egg whites from 65g eggs
- 60g White Caster Sugar (B)
- 170g Unsalted Butter, Cubed (Softened but cold) (B)
- 10-15g Cocoa Powder, sifted (B)
- Zest of 1 Orange
- 1/2 teasp Orange Extract (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C without fan.
- Directions: One Bowl Method.
- Melt Butter and set aside to cool.
- Mix eggs(A), zucchini and melted butter (or oil)(A) till well combined.
- Sift all dry ingredients into bowl. Mix to combine.
- Using a whisk, slowly add wet mixture into dry mixture till combined.
- Fill cupcake liners halfway.
- Bake for 11-13mins till a cake tester comes out clean.
- *Can be kept at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Prepare a Bain Marie/Water Bath.
- Combine egg whites and sugar (B) in a grease proof metal/glass bowl.
- Over a steaming Bain Marie, heat the mixture gently while stirring regularly.
- To test if the egg white mixture is ready, rub it between your fingers to feel if the sugar has dissolved.
- Once ready, remove from the heat.
- Using the whisk attachment, start at med till a solid white meringue forms and then switch to Med High.
- Once the mixing bowl feels cool to touch, switch to the Paddle attachment.
- At low speed, add butter cubes one at a time until fully incorporated.
- Turn to med high speed and whip for 2-5mins.
- Add sifted cocoa powder (B), zest and orange extract. Whip till incorporated.
- *Can be kept in the chiller for up to 3 days.