Enjoy this traditional braided challah bread has eggs, a hint of honey, and a golden brown egg-wash crust!
Cuisine : Baking Course : Appetizer Skill Level : Novice
Prep : 80 mins Cook : 30 mins Ready in : 110 mins Serves : 6
- 60ml Milk
- 45g Butter
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Egg yolk
- 1 tsp Salt
- 45g Honey
- 440g Bread flour
- ½ tsp Saffron
- 1¼ tsp Instant yeast
- 1 Egg white beaten with 1 tbsp water
- Sesame seeds
- Add all the dough ingredients to the bread pan and select the dough cycle.
- When the cycle is complete, remove the dough to a lightly floured surface, cover and let it rest for 5 mins.
- Roll the dough into a 9 inch log and cut off one third. Divide the larger portion into 3 pieces and roll each piece into a 15 inch rope.
- Place the ropes on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Braid the ropes together and lightly tuck the edges in.
- Make a second braid with the smaller piece of dough. Place it on top of the bigger braid.
- Cover it and let it rise in a warm place for 40 – 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Brush the glaze on the braid and sprinkle it over with the seeds.
- Bake at 375 F for 30 – 35 minutes. Cover the bread loaf with a foil tent towards the last 10 minutes to prevent over browning.