This sweet, autumn-perfect Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake is the perfect way to end a meal!
Cuisine : Baking Course : Dessert Skill Level : Novice
Prep : 25 mins Cook : 65 mins Ready in : 90 mins Serves : 8-10
- 200 g Pâte sucrée (sweet pie crust), see recipe
- 5-6 Apples (Pink Lady, Gala, Reinette)
- Caramel: 150 g Sugar | 40 g Butter
- Vanilla butter: 40 g Butter, soft | 40 g Fine Caster Sugar | 1/2 Vanilla Pod
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Insert a grill in the lower part of the oven.
- First prepare the caramel: in a large and heavy bottomed pan, heat the sugar on medium heat until it melts.
- Don’t stir, just swirl the pan slightly. As soon as the caramel has a nice amber color, remove the pan from fire and cover the bottom of the mould (20 cm) with caramel. Cut butter in pieces and add on top of the caramel – it will melt immediately.
- Prepare the apples: peel them, cut them in two and remove the core with a melon baller. With a small and sharp knife, make fine incisions in the rounded part of the apple half. Place this part into the caramel, fill the mould completely, because it will shrink during the cooking process!
- In a bowl, combine soft butter with sugar and vanilla seeds from vanilla pod. Mix with a spoon, then spoon equally over the apples.
- Bake in oven for about 45 minutes or until apples are tender and soaked with caramel – they change color and are now caramel brown. Let cool out for a moment.
- Roll out the pâte sucrée on a little bit of flour, 2 mm thick, slightly bigger then the mould. Cover the apples with the pastry and press with your fingers. With a small pairing knife, cut the borders of the dough.
- Bake in the middle of the preheated oven (180°C) for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place a big plate on top of the mould. Cover with a towel. Flip the mould over very quickly, so that the caramel will not spill out (it can be burning hot!!). Serve with some whipped cream with vanilla & sugar.
- Good to know: You can prepare the Tarte Tatin in advance: caramelize the apples, then cover with dough and place in fridge. Bake 1 hour before serving