Indulge yourself in this delicious yet healthy organic pumpkin gnocchi without any guilt!
Cuisine : European Course : Appetizer Skill Level : Novice
Prep : 50 mins Cook : 20 mins Ready in : 70 mins Serves : 4
- ½ kg Organic pumpkin or butternut squash
- 1 no. Onion
- 1 clove Garlic
- ½ no. Tomatoes, skinned
- A few leaves of Basil
- Cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 80g Unbleached white flour (you may need more or less depending on how wet your pumpkin is)
- 50g Grated Italian Parmesan cheese
- Toasted organic pumpkin seeds
- Peel the squash, remove the seeds and cut into 2 cm (1 inch) cubes.
- In a heavy-bottomed pan, begin to stir-fry the squash in a good splash of olive oil. Add salt and pepper.
- Peel and chop the onions and garlic.
- When the squash has softened, add the onions and garlic to the pan and continue to fry for a few more minutes. Turn off the heat when the onion begins to brown.
- In a saucepan, combine a splash of olive oil, the tomatoes and the torn basil leaves.
- Cook on a low flame for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the squash mixture to an appropriate container and use a hand-blender to process. Return the mixture to the pan.
- Heat the mixture. Begin adding flour to it, little by little, stirring constantly.
- When the mixture is considerably thicker but still creamy (stiff mashed potato consistency), stop adding flour, turn off the heat and allow cooling a little.
- Pour the tomato sauce into a large shallow ovenproof dish.
- With 2 spoons, make walnut-sized balls of squash mixture and place in the sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes on 180°C/350°F, until the cheese is browned.