This homemade Apple Pie is a classic, from a scrumptious filling to the flaky pastry crust.
Cuisine : Baking Course : Dessert Skill Level : Novice
Prep : 70 mins Cook : 45 mins Ready in : 115 mins Serves : 8-10
- 110g Plain flour (Pastry)
- 1/4 teasp Salt (Pastry)
- 45g Unsalted butter, chilled and cubed (Pastry)
- 75g Vegetable shortening, chilled (Pastry)
- 50-60ml Ice water (Pastry)
Apple Pie Filling
- 2 Green and 2 red apples (Apple Pie Filling)
- 1/4 cup Sugar (Apple Pie Filling)
- Dash of Nutmeg (Apple Pie Filling)
- Dash of Cinnamon (Apple Pie Filling)
- Pinch of Salt (Apple Pie Filling)
- 1 tbsp Apple cider (Apple Pie Filling)
- Vanilla pod extract (Apple Pie Filling)
- 20g Butter (Apple Pie Filling)
For the pastry, follow steps 2 to 5.
2. Mix the flour and salt together in a large bowl. Add the butter and shortening.
3. Using two forks, cut the butter and shortening into the mixture until it resembles coarse meal or you may use food processer to do the work.
4. Drizzle the cold water in, 1 Tablespoon at a time, and stir with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon after every Tablespoon added. Do not add any more water than you need to. Stop adding water when the dough begins to form large clumps
5. Transfer the pie dough to a floured work surface. The dough should come together easily and should not feel overly sticky. Using floured hands, fold the dough into itself until the flour is fully incorporated into the fats. Form it into a ball. Divide dough in half. Wrap each tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
6. For the Apple Pie Filling, follow steps 6 to 12.
7. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the apples, and cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves and the mixture begins to simmer, about 2 minutes. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until the apples soften and release most of their juices, about 7 minutes.
8. Simmer over medium heat until thickened and lightly caramelized, about 10 minutes.
9. Add in the spices and the apple cider or lemon juice. Set aside to cool.
10. Line the bottom of a pie pan with one of the discs of dough, and trim it so it lays about ½ inch beyond the edge of the pan. Put the apple filling in the pan and mound it slightly in the centre.
11. Brush the top edges of the dough with the egg. Place the second disc of dough over the top. Fold the top layer of dough under the edge of the bottom layer and press the edges together to form a seal. Flute the edge as desired. Brush the surface of the dough with egg and then sprinkle with sugar. Pierce the top of the dough in several places to allow steam to escape while baking.
12. Bake the pie on a baking sheet until the crust is golden, about 30-45 minutes. Cool on a rack before serving.