Enjoy Japanese-inspired Grilled Mochi with Bruno! Learn to make Red Bean Mochi Pancake from scratch with Chef Autumn Brown.
Cuisine : Baking Course : Dessert Skill Level : Novice
Prep : 1 hr 30 mins Cook : 10-15 mins Ready in : 1 hr 45 mins Serves : 1-2 Servings
- Mochi Pancake
- 150g Glutinous Rice Flour
- 150g Hot Water
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 40g Caster Sugar
- Red Bean Paste
- 200g Red Beans, soaked in water overnight
- 150g Caster Sugar
- 1-2 tsp Fresh Ginger Juice
- May use store bought red bean paste as substitute too
- Bring soaked red beans to a boil, then simmer for 1-2 hours. Until beans turn mushy when pressed with fingers.
- Drain the beans and mash with a fork or blender.
- Return mashed beans to pot, add sugar and ginger juice. Cook the mixture down to spreadable paste consistency; stirring constantly to ensure the bottom of pot does not burn.
- To make mochi pancake, add oil and sugar to water and bring to a boil. Make a well in the center of glutinous rice flour and pour the hot water mixture in.
- Mix vigourously with a pair of chopsticks or wooden spoon until dough is formed.
- When dough is cool enough to touch but still fairly hot. Fold and knead until the surface is smooth. Add a little more water or glutinous rice flour if it is too dry or wet.
- Set aside to rest for about 5 minutes, covered in cling film or a damp cloth.
- Divide dough into 6 portions and roll them out to around 5mm thick. Spread desired amount of red bean paste on one side and fold the other side over and seal by pressing the edges.
- Using the Bruno Grill Plate attachment, turn the heat to medium-high and coat hotplate with a bit of oil. Slowly grill pancakes until golden brown and on both sides.
- Cut into bite sized pieces and enjoy with Chinese tea.